Fancy a sweet treat? These little gems might not be the healthiest of treats but they taste really good (even if I do say so myself) and are both gluten and dairy free! The mixture makes 12 moist muffins to share with friends and family – if you’re feeling extra extravagant why not serve them warm with a chocolate sauce for a real treat.
You will need
For the muffins
300g gluten-free flour
50g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp gluten free bicarbonate soda
1/2 tsp salt
300g granulated sugar
375ml unsweetened almond milk
125ml olive oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the sauce
3 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp honey
50g unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Sift flour, cocoa, xanthan gum, bicarbonate soda and sugar into a large bowl
- Chop and partially mash the strawberries
- Add milk, oil, vanilla extract and mashed strawberries to a pan over a medium heat and whisk until combined
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together thoroughly and distribute into muffin cases
- Bake for 20-25 or until skewer comes out clean and cool on a wire rack
What are your favourite baking treats?
While I’m trying to eat healthily I’m also realistic enough to know that sometimes you just need to eat something that feels a little bit naughty, so I decided to make myself some morning pancakes that only cost me 490 calories including toppings! If you’re like me and have a bit of a sweet tooth or enjoy breakfasting in swanky cafes (there are a lot in York) then this is the perfect treat without all the usual excessive calories.
- 150ml unsweetened almond milk
- Egg replacer for 1 egg
- 50g plain gluten-free flour
- 30g clear honey
- 1 banana
- 100g frozen berries
Add the sifted flour, almond milk and egg to a measuring jug and whisk until smooth. Heat a small frying pan and cook each side for several minutes. After plating each pancake (it should make 3) drizzle a little honey on top. Keep the pan on the heat and add the sliced banana and frozen berries. Keep on the heat for a several minutes until the frozen berries begin to thaw and a lose berry jus is formed. Add to the top of the pancakes and enjoy.
What’s your favourite breakfast recipe?
As I am trying to be good and eat less sugar I decided to try out these sugar free muffins. That way I can indulge my sweet tooth in a healthier way whilst still feeling like I’m being naughty.